Monday, August 24, 2009

The Little Things In Life


I'm still a young guy, at age 26. I can still remember nights of "Fort" making in my bedroom/livingroom ... using up all of the sheets in the closet to create the "inpenetrable walls" of my imaginary fortress. Ah yes .. those were the days .. when we were content with cardboard boxed as space ships and broken branches as machine guns in the front yard.

It was the usual kind of Friday afternoon .. driving home from The JOY FM studios in Sarasota, contemplating what my wife and i should do for that evening. "Is it a quiet evening? Maybe cook up some rice, cut some veggies and roll out some sushi?" .. or "Maybe we can run down to the Beach coast and chill out there .. maybe listen to some music, dance on the shore as the sun is setting ..." hmm it got to be a little difficult .. and talking back forth to my wife .. we were stumped. A moment of silence came between our "backandforthness" ... Elisha:"Ok .. what do YOU want to do honey?" .. jokingly I belted out as if transposed back to my 7yr old body "A FORT!!!" ... " LET'S MAKE A FORT!" ... one of the biggest, cutest smiles I've seen my wife give came across her face. "YESS!!!" and so began the conquest of Fort making for the evening ... and it was ..... amazing!

From the start ... it was an adventure. Using barstools and bo-staffs to prop up the sheets ... chip-clips and safety pins to hold the sheets together .. the couch became the anchor of our sheet fort masterpiece. 100 Calorie Kettle Popcorn, Pink Lemonaid smoothies and I believe Zuccini/Squash Alfredo Pasta with Grilled Chicken were served under the Fortress of Sheets ... watching Disney's Herculies and The Emporers New Grove .. laughing .. alot .. cost? - $0 .. Planning? -0:00 .. it was simple .. sweet .. different .. and that night we slept ... well ... she did. I was awake .. watching her semi-smiling face .. thinking "why is it so hard to just enjoy all that God has given us NOW in this life ... the simple things .. the things that just, even briefly, bring you to smile" .. it's easy to complicate things .. it's easy to over do things .. but alot of times .. even in the simple things .. it's enough!


so built a fort tonight .... and maybe even next week ... HAVE FUN!!


Till next time,

KPK

1 comment:

  1. I might steal this idea... pure awesomeness. Building forts was my thing growing up. My friends had playstation and Nintendo.. not me. I built forts. As I was reading your post I was thinking of how it would be if Court and I were to make a fort one night, and I was thinking to myself, "We could watch Disney movies..." and then I came across the Hercules and Emperor's New Groove.. NICE! I'll let you know if we build one, and report back on the adventure that is adult-fort building.

    ReplyDelete